Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cold Hands



















It's early evening here in Susaki and I can see my breath in my apartment. If I'm honest they still haven't warmed up from trying to throw today, but we'll get to what was worked on today in a little bit. I pulled this form (I like envision bourbon filling it) last Friday. I've been trying to get this shape for sometime now, and I'm very happy with the way this one turned out. I hope my hands recall how to replicate it in the weeks ahead.

 

This serving bowl is from some time ago, but I felt bad only posting the single piece of glaze work this week. I wish I could remember the exact combination that yielded that off-white (ever so slightly purple
) effect on the inside of the bowl, but I've not been able to reproduce it. In truth glazing is is both one of my favorite and least favorite parts of my ceramics process. Every time I open up a firing something new turns out.

 


And finally these are what I spent most of my week working on. I'm quite happy with the forms, and even more pleased by the fun I had playing with textures. I have always been a bit hesitant when it comes to reworking the smooth lines of a freshly thrown piece with hands that have been especially unhappy with living in cold slip and water. Despite the cold, I feel very creatively charged by having this blog. Having a mini deadline for new work each Thursday is pushing me to make more hours for studio time, and I love it. My hands and throwing skills are, thus far, much sharper and more focused on Mondays and Tuesdays. This has worked out very nicely so far because I can let work dry and then trim the pots on thursday before the post. I hope you're all enjoying as much as I am. I'm off to clean the kitchen and have a cup of tea. May your weekends be warm and wonderful.



No comments:

Post a Comment