Monday, October 1, 2012

What a HOOT!

Sorry for the delays in posting, Blogger was giving me some difficulties, but we've been to couples counseling and are staring to work through our issues. I've been a mix of all to busy to be in the studio, teaching my pottery course,getting the fall and winter garden in, and managing to do short bursts of good work when I can actually get my hands in the clay. In my course my students really wanted to make coffee mugs with faces on them. I've never once attempted any type of 3-d portraits or non abstract sculpting, so I took it as a bit of a personal challenge. One student was particularly interested in me showing them how to sculpt and owl's face, and being that I'd just received and e-mail from home about the newly spotted back yard bard owl of Plum Street, WV, it seemed all too perfect an opportunity to try my hands at it. The sculpting itself was fantastically fun, and really felt like a very natural process, but obviously something in my timing or technique was off because it did not dry evenly and is now marred by cracks.
I've also been continuing to try and work bigger! This vase in the most recent attempt at larger scale workings, and I am quite pleased with the way it's turned out thus far. The new firing time table is up for this term, and we are quickly heading towards a bisque firing. I'm excited and ready to get some new pots coming out of the kiln again!
Glad to be back in the posting business. We'll see ya'll on Thursday with more new work.

No comments:

Post a Comment